Chick falling behind......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barnyard, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Ok all you experts this is the first time I have had to deal with any health issues with my chicks, so I need your help......

I have some 9 week old cochins. I am not sure how to say this other than she is super skinny. I can pick up her siblings and they are alote heavier than she is. I have checked her over pretty good and everything looks good from what I can tell. She does have a little poo stuck to her feather's around her vent. Up untile today they have been in a brooder box on pine shavings. I noticed how light she was when I put them outside to get a little sunshine. I know they can go outside now, but being an over protective mom, I haven't done that yet. I wonder if she is getting pushed away from the food? I have watched them and there is so many in there it is hard to keep up with 1. I did bring her in the house and put her in the pet taxi with her own food and water. How should I handle this? What type of treatment should I start with her? Electrolyt's, and yogurt is a good start right? Any suggestions will help.......Thanks

Tiffany

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is her keel very prominent? If so, then she may very well be at the bottom and being pushed away from food. Just make sure she is eating and active. Perhaps add an extra feeder. If she is eating though and just not growing, could be a failure to thrive or malasorbtion problems. Vitamin supplements or extra boiled egg may help her out.

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Oh my goodness, yes. Very much so. I could not believe how bad it was when I picked her up. She is the only 1 that seems to be falling behind. Should I watch for other's or do you just think she is at the bottom. She is the same size as everybody else she is just not at "fat" persay. Thankyou so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by