Chick falling over

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickchick88, Apr 19, 2017.

1. chickchick88

chickchick88 New Egg

Apr 18, 2017
    Hi i have a chick that keep falling over onto it back and can not get back up it will thrash around then give up until someone comes and picks it back up it legs shake and has to lean on the wall to walk but it sometimes walk backwards the chick is a day old what should i do

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    It sounds like "Star gazing". Dilute some Nutri-drench (Can be purchased at Tractor Supply or farm stores) to a weak tea-like color. Use an eye-dropper and place a drop at the side of the chicks beak, so it will go into its mouth when it opens it's mouth. Don't try to squirt it into its mouth or it could breath it in, which will probably kill it. I give them a couple of drops of that every 3-4 hours for a couple of days until I see the chicks no longer doing that.

I've seen this fix the problem, but I've also had chicks that just didn't pull through it and eventually died. I hope yours does great for you! Best of luck!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please post in fullest detail on the Emergency forum- pictures would help to show what the chick is dealing with, falling on back, can't get up, etc. At this very early age, I am wondering, if it just needs to recover from possibly a hard hatch. It is exhausting to chicks., and they generally sleep most of the day. Has the chick had any water or feed? You can tap on the water dish or feeder to show what's there - like a hen would. Sometimes you have to dip their beak a little into water so they realize what it is.

You could also use pediatric vitamins "Polyvisol (No iron) maybe a couple drops 3 times a day, or on feed, if chick will eat it. It's available at Walmart, & pharmacies etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by