Chick Falling Over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nes, Nov 21, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    I have a little chick who hatched 2 days ago, with his yolk sack still outside his body. He had a sibling hatch with the same problem, who DNS.

I've brought him in the house as he wasn't do well at all with mom (took forever, and he wouldn't dry, until I brought him in the house). Along with another chick who was weak at birth and is now much better (she had 3 more healthy chicks, but the eggs are from all different chickens)

There seems to be something wrong with his left leg. If I pick him up he can paddle with that leg, but can't put weight on it; and because of this he can't stand up at all.

I would have PTS but this little booger is a fighter!! He's getting stronger & stronger, but he still can't sit up/stand. The leg is healthy are responsive to pinching (so he can feel it). He's even feeling well enough to fight with his sibling.

Other then continued chicken physiotherapy [​IMG] any suggestions for a way I can brace his left side so he can learn to stand?
    I don't believe the problem is neurological.

(his belly is closing just fine any only has the tiniest amount of dried yolk sack left)

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Many times chicks that hatch with the egg sac not absorbed don't survive. And I don't think there is much you can do really. You could try vitamins in the water to possibly give him a boost. Maybe separate him for a while and up the temp in his brooder. Put a small stuffed animal in with him so that he is not lonely. So sorry. [​IMG]

3. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    The egg sack isn't what's doing it, but he does look like he was born premature (along with his DNS sibling) which is strange since they were hen-hatched; and more especially because momma is a banty sitting on 11 eggs (we only gave her 7! sneaky hens). It is possible his nervous system isn't fully developed, be he seems perfectly fine except not being able to stand up.

He's in the house in a brooder with his sibling so he's got company (I am monitoring them, his sib does bite at him a little just to get him to move so they can cuddle).

4. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    I have a chick that hatched 11/18 doing the same thing.
    He holds his leg up and will not put weight on it but does paddle/move when I pick him up to hand water.
    I did assume it was spradle leg and taped him 2 days ago but I feel this is something else, also.

Any insight would be appreciated...

5. nes

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    We had our little guy propped up on some cloth last night and he seemed to be doing much better, was actually almost standing on his on.
    Unfortunately our chick died last night.

Probably for the best, we wouldn't want to be breeding on his traits.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am sorry you lost your baby. Most chicks don't survive in that condition. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by