Chick falls over when trying to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erkieka, Mar 15, 2015.

1. erkieka

erkieka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    I have a chick that was hatched about a week ago. The chick was active and appeared to be healthy like the other chicks. Yesterday I noticed that she seemed a little weak and I thought maybe she just wasn't getting enough food or water because she is a little smaller than the other chicks. However, as the day went on she struggled to walk without falling over. I went to separate her from the other chicks and when I picked her up I noticed a large bump on her left side by her neck. The bump feels bony and appears to be the reason she's falling over. The bump is large enough to throw her off balance. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I worried that maybe she became injured from the other chicks running her over because she was fine up until yesterday and didn't have the bump.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture? Are you certain it is on her left side, and not on her right where her crop is located? Chicks can sometimes eat pine shavings causing an impacted crop, making them unable to eat.

3. erkieka

Apr 18, 2014
    Its not the greatest pic but its definitely on the left side.

[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chicks can get leaking air sacs from injuries around the chest and neck which can balloon up, but they would feel puffy, not boney. Maybe she has a broken bone or a dislocation. I've never seen this before, but I hope you can save her.

5. erkieka

Apr 18, 2014
    I was wondering if it might be dislocated but it doesn't appear to be tender to the touch. I'm thinking I'll have to take her to the vet tomorrow but they're not really familiar with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by