Chick feathering in REALLY weird...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 19hhbelgian, Jan 16, 2010.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Here is my chick. He is out of a lavender ameraucana and I'm pretty sure Daddy is a serama. He is the same age as my cochin cross, but take a look at the difference in their feathering! They both hatched on the same day, only a couple hours apart. Anybody have a clue as to what is going on??

Black ameraucana x (EE) chick:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here they are together (cochin is frizzled obviously, but his feathers are way different - even if they were smooth - than my little black guys feathers):
    [​IMG]

Cochin by himself:
    [​IMG]

2. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    I am not sure what you are talking about. All I see(I think) is the wing feathers still in their feather sheaths.
    I have a few chicks whose feathering looks similar, so can you be more specific on what is weird about it?
    I am brand new at raising chicks, so I don't know a whole lot about it.

Sorry I'm not more help [​IMG]

Carrie

3. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    looks normal to me

4. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    It looks normal, it just has not preened its own feathers to pull off the sheath. You can use your fingernails to work them off bit by bit. I have a conure, and she yells at me if I get too exhuberant if removing "pokeys" You don't want to pull it off, (you could pull out her feathers), but using your nails like a "beak" rub your fingernails gently over the sheath in areas to break it down. It will be flakey. If after a few days, or if it is too thick, you can use a little water to moisten them. When they dry, they will be easier to preen.

I am new to chickens, but that is what the vet told me for my bird. Appaprently it is uncomfortable to have them sheathed.

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Ahh... Yep. See this is my first chick ever [​IMG] I feel dumb... Didn't even think of the sheath... I pull them off my big birds when they molt, so yeah, I'm a goof. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    hey, this place is a never ending source of people that "got your back" for ya. Isn't it the best?

7. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Quote:[​IMG] I would have asked the same thing if that were my chick. [​IMG]

You can always depend on BYC'ers

8. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Yeah, don't worry about it. When I noticed it on my chicks, I first thought something was weird, till I remembered our cockatiel would have single feather sheaths like that.
    It is really a strange sight to see so many like that at once.

Carrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by