Chick Feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mjdtexan, Nov 2, 2008.

1. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I've noticed that the the feathers on the tips of there wings are developing first. At what age are chicks fully feathered?

Today, day four, they are starting to to climb on things. I put a stick in their coop and supported by two small 2x4's and they have found it.

Think today would be a good day to put them on their pine shavings?

2. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:Ok, now I am confused. It says on that site to give them "raising feed" at 25 days. I thought you gave them chick starter for the full 6 to 8 weeks.

???

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    There are many different views on raising chickens... [​IMG] But it is a nice chart for seeing when certain milestones are reached. I couldn't tell you about the feed thing... I still find myself confused sometimes... but reading the variety of replies on feeding posts, I try not to sweat it [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ok, now I am confused. It says on that site to give them "raising feed" at 25 days. I thought you gave them chick starter for the full 6 to 8 weeks.

???

mjd, the feed is called different things in different parts of the country. You may find feed that's listed as "starter" only and you would feed that until 6 to 8 weeks and then start them on "grower". Most places I've seen sell starter/grower. You feed that until such time that you switch to layer feed at 18 to 20 weeks or when you get your first egg.

5. mjdtexan

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Thank You. I had bought 50lbs of the stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by