1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick feed always available?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by booboo0712, Jun 22, 2008.

1. booboo0712

booboo0712 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    North west Pa
    my chicks finally arrived now i'm not sure about feeding. do the chicks need to have feed constantly available or do I need to put them on a schedule?

1 person likes this.
  2. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    constantly available And fresh water at all times

3. booboo0712

booboo0712 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    North west Pa
    thank you, I have been giving them constant fresh water and food, i was just nit sure if that was the right thing to do.

4. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Not to say I'm the expert here... so free choice feeding may not be correct but I do know fresh water ALWAYS AVAILABLE is correct. I just got my chicks Wed.(06/20) and have had free choice of both feed and water from the git-go and they are all active healthy and growing toooooooo fast!( by this I mean they will not be cute little fuzzy butts much longer! I didn't realize they grew so fast!I have two developing combs already!!!!)
    I'm sure that if free choice food is wrong someone will correct me!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Both food and water should be available 24/7.

Don't forget grit, too! Parakeet grit from the grocery store will keep your chicks - and you - well entertained. [​IMG]

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Actually, they don't need grit until they start eating other things besides their chick starter. People disagree on when treats should be started, but that is when grit needs to be added. And yeah, food and water available at all times. [​IMG] Good luck and welcome. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by