chick feed in the bator..?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DirtCreature, Apr 5, 2012.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    can i put a small cup of chick feed in the bator before lockdown for them to have a snack and to keep the ones that hatched from pecking at the piped ones?

2. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    With the heat and humidity, I think there would be too much of a risk of the feed going bad. And they dont' really need a snack since they are still absorbing yolk. They just peck because they are curious.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    There is really no need to do that. The last thing chicks do before they hatch is to absorb the last of the yolk. This is enough to sustain them for up to 3 days so they don't need to eat immediately.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If your opening the incubator to put feed in then why not take the chicks out?

Remember, chicks absorb the yolk in last days prior to hatching which gives them enough nutrients for several days. This fact is how day old chicks can be mailed across country. You don't need to feed them or water them until you take them out of incubator. Once you get them to brooder watch to see if they are drinking, if not place their beak in water so they know what it is. They'll go back when dry and thirsty. And of course provide chick starter in brooder.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  5. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    yes but im watching someone eggs hatch right now via live feed over the web, after about 24 hours the first that hatched where pecking at the piped ones, and making a stink. thats why i was wondering.

I wasnt talking about opening it after they had hatched. i was say right before i closed it for lockdown on day 18.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry about them pecking at the eggs. The first hatched chicks call to the others, encouraging them to hatch. They might peck a little at an egg but aren't coordinated enough to do much harm.

7. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    ok thanks! sorry everyone, i guess i should have worded the question better to say should i add feed, or will the un-zipped chick be fine from the pecking.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by