Chick Feed Mix-Up

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kieh12, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Kieh12

Kieh12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    So, until now I have been feeding my 2 week old pullets a sample of chick starter 20% protein. I went to feed mill to get more feed and asked for chick starter. I got home and it was broiler starter. I looked it up on their website n it is 23% protein. Also, on the website, it only lists broiler feed nothing for layer pullets. Which means I can't exchange the feed.

My question is...is it okay to feed my layer pullets feed with 23% protein for now? Or do I have to just bite the bullet and go buy them the 20%? I have no use for the 23%

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I feed my 2 week old layer chicks 24% chick feed when I had some turkey pouts in the same brooder with them. My chicks did great on it. If you want to lower the protein level you could pick up some 18% chick feed and mix it half and half with the 23%

3. Kieh12

Kieh12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2015
    Okay, thank you. Was thinking that I could mix it, but wanted to be sure first.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    If it makes you feel any better, remember that Mama Hen isn't checking the protein content of the bugs her chicks catch and eat. She also doesn't peel and chop the fruits and veggies they peck at. But chicks that are confined are usually eating just what we give them rather than a hugely varied diet they'd get free ranging. So go ahead and mix with the lower protein. I'm betting if there is a difference in the feed by just 3%, at most you'd see some faster feather growth. [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    What are the ingredients, is it medicated?

As for the amount of protein, 23% protein isn't all that much for the age that they are.
    I feed a 30% protein to chick under 4 weeks or so and my chicks do great.

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I always feed my chicks 22% protein and they do fine. You could mix it with lower protein food or just feed the 23%, either way you'll be fine.

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    My main gig is quail and I use 24% turkey-game starter on them. To keep from having to buy a different bag of feed when I have chicken chicks I feed them the 24% game too. Worst thing that happens is they make expensive poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by