Chick feed question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Matelew, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Matelew

Matelew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    I am new to chicken raising. In my excitement I purchased unmedicated chick starter 50lb bag but then I read the bag and its chick starter for quail, ducks etc. is this ok to give to my baby chickens? They have eaten it for 2 weeks but I have seen a little diherrea lately just wondering if this is the cause. The brand I purchased has a chick starter/grower recommended for baby chicks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What’s the percent protein on that feed, 24%? That’s higher than I normally use but once when I was raising turkeys with the chickens they all ate that for a while. It did not hurt the chicks. If it is 30% protein that's too much.

If you are concerned (I would not be) you can buy a bag of 16% Grower (make sure it is Grower and not Layer. The percent calcium is important) and mix it with the game bird starter and get a more normal mix.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. Matelew

Matelew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks...I will check the numbers on the bag and make sure they are getting the nutrients they need...by any chance will I be able to keep whatever I don't use in a yr?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chicken feed tends to lose nutrients the longer it is stored. You could maybe freeze it and retain most its nutrients but I strongly suggest using it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by