Chick Feed Recipe/Replacement Help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenlover09, Aug 16, 2014.

1. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Hi everyone! So I have 5 chicks, 2 of them are are a little over 2 months old, and the other 3 are about 5 weeks old. The are currently eating 22% starter mash, but the bag is practically all gone. Last time I was at the feed store, the guy gave me a bag of the Star Milling All Purpose Mash, and he said when I ran out, to feed them it. The bag doesn't say it's layer feed, but on their website it does. I'm not sure if it is though.

Would it be okay to start feeding them the All purpose Mash, or no. I'm out of the starter mash.
    That is the only feed I have, and I can't go to the feed store for awhile.
    If I can't feed it to them, do any of you have any feed recipes for this age? I only have pretty basic things (eggs, oats, etc.).

Please help!

http://www.starmilling.com/poultry-products.php (feed company)

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What is the calcium level in the feed? The main problem with layer feed is that its calcium level is too high, plus it is not specially formulated for younger birds. I would not feed growing birds layer feed for a long period of time. If it really is "all-purpose mash", though, that is probably fine--most products called that are meant to be fed to entire flocks, full of different ages and breeds of poultry.

I don't know any chick feed recipes. If you can't get to the store soon, I would go ahead and feed the all-purpose feed.

3. chickenlover09

Jul 17, 2014
    Okay thanks. So, it's okay to feed the all purpose mash. Do you think it would be better if I also fed them something with more protein to help their growing to?

The feed says it's All Purpose Mash. The protein is not less than 16.00%, the Calcium says not less than 3.30% and not more than 4.20%.

Can I also feed this mash to them throughout their whole lives?

4. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    IMO your chicks will be better off with a little more protein. The calcium level??? Lots of folks just feed layer feed to everyone and do fine. I think you'll be "OK" at that calcium level but your babies do need more protein. If you've got extra eggs give 'em some, especially the little ones. Regards, Woody

5. chickenlover09

Jul 17, 2014
    Okay thanks everyone!!!

I've mixed their old feed (only about a 1/4 cup) with all of the new feed, and filled that up in the feeder. I've also mashed up and boiled an egg for them, and mixed that in with the feed. They didn't know that this was food at first, but 5 minutes later they were all happily eating beakful after beakful:)

How many eggs should I feed them each day (for 5 chicks).

6. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I would not give them the egg everyday, just to supplement protein until you get their feed. Most feeds for chicks are balanced and have all the protein they will need. You can give them egg on occasion as a treat. Until then just a couple of eggs should be enough for your chicks.

7. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    If it was me, I'd give 'em an egg a day if I had them until I got some higher protein feed. That's one egg for all, not one egg each. Regards, Woody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by