chick feed to pullet feed, please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by szy.cpr, Jun 15, 2007.

1. szy.cpr

szy.cpr Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    ;)So my chicks are only just over 4 weeks old, i have 4 polish and 2 silkies. At the moment i am feeding them non medicated chick crumbs, they all seem to be growing fine and look really healthy, but im not sure when i am suppose to start feeding "grown up food" and what grown up food is best for them. They get worms bugs ect and some times baby sweetcorn for treats, as a first time chick mum i really need some advice, we did get these birds mostly as pets for the kids but would really love to get some eggs from them too, and i read that differnt food for layers broilers ect, any help will be appreciated

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Storeys Guide says:

Pullet started 0-6 weeks 18 to 20% protein

Pullet grower 6-14 weeks 16 to 18% protein

pullet developer 14-20 weeks 14 to 16% protein

Layer feed 20 weeks 16-18% protein

As we dont have all those choices at my feed store. I will feed mine starter untill 18 weeks or so and then switch to layer feed.. I think that is what alot of people do.

3. szy.cpr

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    ok great so i can keep using starter (Which is chick crumb??)
    and then use layer after that, i know u are thinking OMG this woman is thick but over here in England i dont think feed stores excsist and i have never heard of anyone else keeping chicken so im sorry but what is layer feed made up of? I have a bag of feed that i picked up off of a local market but by the looks of it it is just a mix of corn

4. chrissieg

chrissieg Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd feed them chick crumbs until you had used up the bag - you can't go wrong with those! Then maybe some growers pellets and then layers pellets at 18 weeks. (I've converted it, I hope, into UK English [​IMG])

My chicks just love dock leaves shredded up!

5. chrissieg

I used to get layers mash and mix it up with table scraps and boiled peelings, but my friends use pellets which is the same mix but extruded, so it's more easily handled. I should save the corn for when their a bit more grown!

6. szy.cpr

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    ok great thats fantastic, its just so hard to get anything for them here, anyone would think ive got elephants in my garden, BYC rocks i dont know what i would do without u[​IMG]

7. szy.cpr

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    oh soz, one more question. Does anyone know if i can get grower pellets or layers pellets off the internet, i know i can get chick crumbs off of ebay but ive got loads of that and i really dont want to have to be too nice to the hubby to make him drive miles to go get some chicken feed!!! [​IMG]

8. chrissieg

Right - my suggestion - get out the Yellow Pages, look for 'Agricultural Merchant' there's bound to be one in a nice place, phone them up to check they have what you want..... pack a picnic.... drive past .... well I never .... I wonder if? 25 k bag .......SORTED [​IMG] Hubby stands no chance [​IMG]

9. szy.cpr

May 26, 2007
    hertfordshire/england
    Looks like ive got ' what to do for fathers day' sorted, cheers:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by