1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by painterpeach, Dec 11, 2011.

1. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    at what age can chicks start to eat layer crumbles

2. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    ABout at 4-6 months of age tho it wont kill them to mix some in b4 hand...they dont need it and it could slow growth...its designed to have higher calcium for egg production and lower protien. They really need the chick with the higher protien for growth. [​IMG] Or you could do it but supplement with lots of chopped boiled egg, bugs etc. for protien.

3. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    thanks! our babies just turned six months old. we are going to move them in with other older chickens.

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:They are ready to eat layer feed

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Oh six months is more than old enough! Ours started young, at around 1-2 months, because they just wouldn't eat their chick pellets when the big girls were having all that scrumptious layer mix of seeds and grains. [​IMG] It didn't hurt them, they're strong and healthy enough now. [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:They are ready to eat layer feed

X2

7. I go with 24 weeks or when I see an egg, whichever comes first.

IMPO
    1 day-5 weeks = medicated chick starter
    5 weeks-24 weeks = Flock raiser crumble
    24 weeks and older = layer pellets or 50/50 layer and flock raiser pellet. The mix is what I do because I can not get blue seal breeder in my area. Never had a thin shell egg, plenty of calcium even in the mix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by