chick feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kadota48, Feb 4, 2013.

1. kadota48

kadota48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    I have a question that im hoping someone can answer for me about chick feed.

Is it oka to start chicks out on a 20% non-medicated chick starter/grower and after 8 weeks switch there feed to an 18% medicated chick starter?
    Thnkss:)

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Actually, your plan is reasonably close what many folks do. Here's the thinking. While in a sterile brooder, there isn't much exposure to coccidosis. But, once the time comes that the chicks are put on the ground, their exposure increases dramatically. So, lots of folks feed medicated (amprolium) from day one and just continue until they feel comfortable in stopping, usually around 10 weeks of age, give or take.

Others begin the medicated a week or two before and during the chicks first exposure to the dirt and the more natural environment. Hope that helps you in your decision making.
    The protein level to start from hatch does need to be 20%, on average. It is fine to reduce that protein to 18% after 8 weeks, or continue to feed a 20-24% protein, There is different thinking on these matters.

3. kadota48

kadota48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2013
    I just wanted to make sure my thought process was oka.
    I appreciate your help, Thank you.

4. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same question about the medicated feed...so thanks for asking kadota48.

I also have another "medicated" question (I'll be doing my first batch of chicks at the end of Feb). When they say "medicated" is it antibiotic specific for coccidosis or is it for other stuff too? Is one better than the other or is "medicated" the same medicine in all the different brands (didn't know if it was regulated or not).

Also...How do you (when the time comes to begin introducing them to an established flock) do you keep the "chick food" separate from the random chicken population. Or better (I know how to keep the full-growns out of the chick feed)...how do you keep the chicks from eating the "normal" chicken feed if you decide to put them all together.

It's really not something I'll have to worry about till after the end of April, but just thought I'd ask...

Thanks!
    Dawn

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I might be able to help with a few questions until Fred gets back on here. The only medication I know of in labeled "medicated" starter feed for chicks is Amprolium. It prohibits the growth of the protozoa but doesn't totally eliminate it so the chicks can build immunity.

I never introduce a new flock to an old flock unless they are full grown, able to defend themselves in the pecking order, and ready to eat what they eat.

6. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Michael...thanks...so, what is "full grown" in chicken months? I keep finding different answers. I don't have a problem separating them...just trying to estimate what I'm gonna need come spring time.

Thanks again. Appreciate all the help!

Dawn

7. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    About 5 months is grown. In a mixed age flock you can feed regular(not chick) starter/grower and offer calcium(usually crushed oyster shell) free choice. The little ones won't eat the calcium. Layer feed will damage the little ones kidneys because of the calcium content. The only thing in any medicated feeds I have found is amprolium as Michael said, not any antibiotics. Mine were on medicated feed till they started laying, and yes it's ok to eat the eggs immediately after switching. I'm living proof.

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome, Dawn. I think RonC got it already. 5-6 months. Some breeds develop slower than others but not enough to make that much difference. I've downsized over the years from 25 birds down to 9. To make it easy on myself, I have a large yard 30' wide by 40' long with an 8'x10' coop, another smaller fenced yard with a much larger coop area attached to the barn, and a 8'x12' grow off pen attached to a smaller 4'x4' coop. The more room you provide for them off range, the better in my opinion. It works well for me because I know they are safe and have plenty of room if I have to be away most of the day.

9. katoranger

katoranger Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Altamont, KS
    I got my question answered. Was at the store Saturday and they had medicated and nonmedicated chick feed. Wasn't sure what I wanted so I got the nonmedicated. They will be in the laundry room until big enough to go outside. I guess the next bag I will get the medicated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by