chick feeding

jermoatc

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 5, 2011
Lake Crystal, MN
I am expecting my broody hen to hatch her chicks on Friday. I am planning on just letting her raise them naturally in the coop and fenced chicken yard. I need to provide them with food and water so that the other 7 hens in my flock wont get at their food and water. Any suggestions on what to do.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Our broody's eggs hatched July 2 and I decided to let her raise her chicks in the coop too. Keeping the other hens (we have 3 other plus our momma hen) out of the chicks' water isn't much of a problem. Keeping them out of the chick feed is the problem. And while trying to get to the food they do tend to repeatedly knock the chicks' waterer over. It's tough - no question about it. I've started to just let momma hen and her 8 chicks out in the yard all day to free range. I put their feeder and waterer on the ground and they can get either when they want. Momma hen does a great job of protecting the chicks. They are 1.5 weeks old today and all are thriving. The other 3 hens I just leave in the coop/run and give them treats about twice a day and they don't seem to mind having to stay fenced in. I do end up letting the hens out in the evening to free range for a couple hours too. But the first thing they'll do is head straight for the chicks' feed!!!

I'm eager to hear better ideas, as I'm sure there are some...just haven't put the time into thinking of one yet.

The only way to keep hens out of the chick food is to put the chick food where only the little chicks can get to it. You can put it under a shelf that is too low for the full-size chickens or put wire around the feed with openings that only the chicks can get through. You can make a box with slats of wood for openings that only lets the little guys inside where you put the food.

Most people just feed what all the chickens can eat and offer oyster shell on the side for the layers.

Back
Top Bottom