chick fell in water, now paralyzed??!!

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
I have a 2 1/2 week old leghorn chick who accidentally fell into a bucket of water. i left the brooder open to grab some feed and 2 minutes latter somehow one of my leghorns flew out landed into a bucket of room temperature water. I immediately took it out when i saw and dried her with a hair dryer. Something is wrong with the legs because it can move them but not support it body with them. It is sleeping right now and twitching. As it breathes the chest rattles and you can hear a rasping.
I'm guessing its a goner but in the mean time is their anything I can do to help it?

Heat up a towel in the microwave and wrap it around the little one. Make sure you keep it in a dark place, its more relaxing for chickens. Just hold the towel and chick for a bit and it should get a little better. this happened to one of my chicks too

Quote:
x2 All you can do is keep her warm for now. Offer fluids within (add a little sugar to help snap her out of the shock) in a couple of hours followed by some food (scrambled eggs are a good choice).

*You can try dipping her beak into a spoon of sugar water or Gatoraid now. Don't stress if she does not take in much right away.

If she does not get the water out of her lungs she may develop aspiration pneumonia. You could try antibiotics but it usually does not turn out well.
sad.png

She's probably in shock and probably got some fluid in her lungs. I would also put one of her buddies with her for comfort. You may want to put her on a respiratory antibiotic if she rattles tomorrow, It will help ward off pneumonia. Poor baby!

Thanks everyone
smile.png

I was thinking she was gonna die but 30 minutes latter she gets up and walks back into the flock
smile.png

I'll keep an eye on her but so far she is acting perfectly normal as if this never happened

Back
Top Bottom