CHICK FEVER!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by leedyfeathers, Mar 19, 2015.

1. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    im adding to my flock 39 chicks.. well little less when I get some family to take some bantams after they arrive. I have plans to clean out my coop and sanitize it again the month before they arrive. I want to house them in one side of my coop and allow them access to a sectioned off area of the existing pen its a 50x40, inside coop I plan to just use small wire that will not allow much of a beak to go into it but give the ability to view each other from inside. divide my coop in half its 12x4 with six nests boxes but right now only the first three are used by them, three perch bars at descending levels over 8ft leaving a little empty space (I plan to use for a water and feed area for the chicks). I currently have 13 laying hens occupying this right now. and after @ 1: or 2: they are allowed to free range that way most my eggs are deposited there at the coop.
    how much of the 50 x40 pen should be set aside for a growing bunch of hens? and will that half a coop be enough or will I need to add onto my chicken condo.. as husband calls it.
    [​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    For adult birds you should provide 4 square feet of floor space in the coop per bird - so 13 birds should have 52 square feet of floor space inside. If your coop is 4'x12', you currently have 48 square feet - so less than ideal for the birds you already have. Chicks require very little space at the beginning, but grow quickly and by 6 weeks of age will be half their adult size, and need 2 square feet already. You can probably see that this all is heading for a much larger coop.

3. leedyfeathers

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    I also faild to mention I dont keep them up only to sleep and they are only confined to the large pen for half the day then let out to roam.. ive not had any behavior problems from them even when I had 20 hens. However I understand ive got a growing bunch also.. I think setting up the coop to accommodate the new ones az if they are full grown would be a good idea then... also fifteen of these are bantams of those im keeping @4 as pets and hopefully broodies the rest has been promised out. Do those birds meld well as the flock or tend to be harassed more? Maybe I should set them up a special place all their own?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Remember that in bad weather your birds might be forced to stay inside for long periods of time. The low-rank birds will suffer the most, and may get shoved aside from food and water, or move outdoors even in bad weather. Crowding birds increases bad behaviors such as picking, as well as risk of health issues.

I have kept bantams in with standard birds without issue.

1 person likes this.
  5. leedyfeathers

Jul 21, 2014
    VA

My roo suffered anxiety the most hens refused to let him breed then in turn he was less than nice back after a month almost back to normal. So another coop it is! Im thinking hard on adding a roofed area for shade and to keep the larger number places to be out of the rain.

6. 1muttsfan

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Always nice to have an excuse for a new coop

I mean, Good Reason, of course :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by