chick field trip??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shane17, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Shane17

Shane17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Hey guys... i got another newbie question! The weather is expected to be in the mid 70's here in central Va tomorrow. I was thinking of taking my 8 chicks outside and let them move around in a small pinned in area for maybe half hour or so. There only 7 days old today. Is this possible or are they still too young? Thanks![​IMG]

2. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Let them decide :) give them choice of sun or shade and then see if they still huddle in the sun. If they huddle they are cold, if they run around they are not. I've taken chicks of all ages out and my rule of thumb is if I'm cold with short sleeves they will be cold :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Definitely go for it, and make sure you're there to watch! Absolutely adorable when they see the outdoors for the first time. Do keep an eye on them, just in case.

4. Shane17

Jan 14, 2012
    Well i did not get them out last week as i planned however i did get them out today. they pretty much sat around for about 5 minutes. then a couple started pecking on the ground then the rest joined in.

5. chicncait

chicncait Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    I do it today it's nice out, give them 5 minutes if there still huddled together take them in but if they peck around for greens and playing keep away you can let the stay out for up to an hour but make sure to watch them!

6. Shane17

Jan 14, 2012
    Yeah plus my dog....a big ole lab scares them too. she wants to run up and smell them so that pretty much keeps them on alert mode! I'm trying to think of a way to get them outside with out my dog knowing we went out. if not she'll pretty much knock my door down to get out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by