Chick Fight

redblackfan

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2020
One of my chicks got beat up. All he does is stand there now. I tried to wash him, put vitamin water out and a put a lamp on him cause it's cold now. Is there anything else I can give him to help him recover. I can also hear him breath while he stands there now.

Attachments

• 20211128_230127.jpg
    20211128_230127.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 9
One of my chicks got beat up. All he does is stand there now. I tried to wash him, put vitamin water out and a put a lamp on him cause it's cold now. Is there anything else I can give him to help him recover. I can also hear him breath while he stands there now.
Wow, that is not good at all! Poor chick!

I would coat his/her wounds with ORIGINAL Neosporin WITHOUT pain killer or spray on some veterycin.

Hopefully Wyorp Rock would jump on and give more advice. I have no idea what that pill is.

So what happened? Also, I wouldn't wash him.
Thanks, well I already washed him. Took some dirt and blood off then I sprayed him. I thought that's how you use that spray. I put him and some other chicks together so I could put a heat lamp in their coop. It looked like they got along but when I left they just picked on him. The other chicks he was with didn't get picked on at all. Just him.

Yeah I actually did spray him with that and gave him a pill of premoxil.
How old is he?
How long ago was he beat up?
Can you get a photo of his face too? I'd like to see his face.
He got any blood in his beak?

He's got room to get away from the heat lamp right? How warm is it under there on the cool side?

Work on getting fluids into him, then offer some wet feed. Make sure he's not overheating.
If the fight was just within a few hours, he's exhausted, so give him some time to come around.

A whole Premoxil may have been too strong for him, depending on his age. You may need to 1/2 it, you got a photo of the packaging just so we make sure I'm looking at the right product?

How old is he?
How long ago was he beat up?
Can you get a photo of his face too? I'd like to see his face.
He got any blood in his beak?

He's got room to get away from the heat lamp right? How warm is it under there on the cool side?

Work on getting fluids into him, then offer some wet feed. Make sure he's not overheating.
If the fight was just within a few hours, he's exhausted, so give him some time to come around.

A whole Premoxil may have been too strong for him, depending on his age. You may need to 1/2 it, you got a photo of the packaging just so we make sure I'm looking at the right product?
I lifted the lamp a little cause it did feel hit in there. I moved him back outside into a cage with his old friends only. Not sure how old he is. But he has to be at least 2 months. I gave him a pill of these. I think it migth be too much also cause it was made for roosters. His poop is coming up blueish green now.

Attachments

• 20211129_105622.jpg
    20211129_105622.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211129_105540.jpg
    20211129_105540.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211129_105645.jpg
    20211129_105645.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 3
I lifted the lamp a little cause it did feel hit in there. I moved him back outside into a cage with his old friends only. Not sure how old he is. But he has to be at least 2 months. I gave him a pill of these. I think it migth be too much also cause it was made for roosters. His poop is coming up blueish green now.
Got a photo of the poop? LOL

If you give him any more of the Premoxil, then I would split the dose in 1/2. A whole tablet is for stags 5 months and older. If this guy is only around 2 months, the dose is too high.
I was just making sure it was tablet, it comes in a powder as well that can be mixed in water.

Face isn't too bad. You mention him breathing. Do you see any air bubbles under the skin or odd swelling along the abdomen, under the wings, etc.? Feel him over for like an air lump under the skin, just to make sure he's not got a ruptured air sac. I don't think so, he's not gasping, but it's better to check.

Use your judgement on moving him back with his old friends. They don't always stay friends if you get my meaning. He's in a weakened state, so you may want to consider caging him right next to the others. Keep his wounds moist with triple antibiotic ointment.
His face looks ok to me, eyes look real good. Even that can be deceptive if he got his bell rung good, it can take a couple of days for them to come right. The breathing is what I would watch, sometimes they aspirate blood and that can cause some gurgling, but the antibiotic should help with infection if that's the case.
Work on hydrating him. The Premoxil probably won't hurt to finish it, but 1/2 that dose.

Back
Top Bottom