chick flew the pen and died

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pipit, Mar 19, 2007.

1. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    [​IMG][​IMG] Well, I put the chicks out in the coop today for the first time. We have a 25'diameter pen with 4' high chicken wire sides. I had just gone back out to check on the chicks. My dogs ran out with me. My Sheltie got to the pen first and found one of the buff Orpingtons outside the pen. I am assuming it flew out. By the time I reached them, the dog had pretty much mangled the chick. She died moments later. I am heart broken and feel guilty. Was it too early to put them out? Can you clip the wings of month old chicks? Right now the rmaining nine are in the coop with some food and water. My husband said it's part of the realities of farm life and I need to grow a thicker skin. I suppose, but I LOVE critters and am a big ol' softie when it comes to them. My sheltie was scolded and she looks repentant. I know she was just doing what comes naturally to dogs. Any suggestions on preventing a repeat of this sad event?

2. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    they sell those cheap nettings at the garden store to keep birds out of your vegetable garden. for a 14' x 14', it's like $10. i have that over the top of my pen to keep them from flying out.

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    If a dog is going to be attracted to a chicken the chances are increased I believe when they are in the chick stage. Maybe because they are so small and fast the dog just reacts to their natural instincts. Both of my labs are soft mouth but if they were to catch a chick the chances of survival would be slim to none. The longer they are exposed to chickens the more they accept them as part of the family yard or farm animals. I doubt if the dog meant harm but just reacted, now knowing the consequences you must assure it doesnÂ’t happen again it is just a learning process for all, it happens it part of life live and learn. Good luck

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  4. pipit

pipit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Brooksville, FL
    Thanks all. We clipped the wings on the rest of the chicks. I don't think the dog really meant to hurt the chick. She's pretty young herself. I don't worry about my other dog. He's a cocker and has few teeth. We rescued him from a shelter. Zoe, the sheltie, is really fast. Right this minute she is about a foot away from my Blue-fronted Amazon parrot. She learned the hard way not to bother the parrot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by