Chick flipping over

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by becann99, May 10, 2011.

1. becann99

becann99 New Egg

Mar 18, 2011
    Hi,
    I have Silkie Chicks they are about 4 weeks old and there is one chick ever sense we got him at two days old keeps on flipping over onto his back and then cant get back up unless we turn him over. Then the other chicks will pick on him for a bit till I break it up. Why does he keep on doing this a couple times a day and I thought once he got older it would stop and it has not. What can I do has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks

2. kaylove

kaylove Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    hm..maybe it's very weak? i havent heard of this but it sounds interesting, hope someone with more knowledge helps you out! my baby chickens when its hot outside and i let them walk on the cement in my backyard, they fall to the side and just.."bask" i guess? has yours ever done that? i dont know why they do that.

3. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    It sounds like a thiamin (Vitamin B1) deficiency. Usually that causes flopping over on their back. However, if the other chicks in the clock aren't showing the same symptoms thats probably not what it is... do you have a vitamin and electrolyte on hand? Maybe try giving the chick some of that and see if that helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by