Chick Food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PoesAccomplice, Apr 29, 2016.

1. PoesAccomplice

PoesAccomplice Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    Above the Rest
    Had a question. I have purchased starter feed for my soon-to-come chicks, but is there anything else J should feed them on top of that? I have heard good stuff about alfalfa.

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    They don't NEED anything other than the starter, but if you feed them other stuff as treats you'll need to give them grit as well.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Just chick starter for first few weeks I would suggest. Treat can be given later, agree that they'll need chick grit as well with treats.

4. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

I start my chicks off on Chick Feed, and that is the best feed for the chicks.

With that being said, here is a suggestion. For me...For my flock...I want my birds to come to me when I need them too. So I work daily with them from the time that they are chicks. I train my birds , and when they see me they come right to me; and if they choose not to come to me, I call them....they always come when I call them.

I start training them when they are chicks. When I come into the Brooder Room, I say " Bok, Bok, Bok" and I feed the chicks cooked brown rice or white rice by hand. It will take about 1 or 2 days and they will think of food every time they see you. They will get excited and they will dance and prance.

But when you say "Bok, Bok, Bok" (or whatever phrase you choose to use) you have to have a treat for them, or its some type of emergency and you need them to come to you right that minute. If you "lie" to them they will not trust you and once they don 't trust you...they will never trust you. Chickens are hard wired, once they learn something it's difficult to impossible to UN-train them.

So there's my 2 cents...[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by