Chick food?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1chickens1, Apr 21, 2017.

1. 1chickens1

1chickens1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2016
    Tomorrow I'll be getting 2 new chicks. When I get them, is the only thing that I can give their chick feed? When can I starts feeding them grass, dirt, warns, chicken scratch, etc.
    Thanks!

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Hello! You should probably not feed them anything else for at least a week. After that, you should give them chick grit, and then you can give them grass, small worms, etc.

Have fun!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    1 person likes this.
  4. 1chickens1

Aug 28, 2016
    Got it thanks!

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Lots of good points in the above postd. especially the grit .okay ,start feeding your chick feed right away. medicated feed is good unless they've been vaccinated ...then use non medicated chick feed. buy some Poultry Nutri-Drench made Bovidr Labs.
    Http://www.nutridrench.com
    1. give each chick one drop only by mouth. if the chick appears needy , give them another drop every 8 to 10 hours as needed until they're perky.
    Put 1/2 teaspoon of Nutri Drench in a quart waterer . raise them on Drench water for the first 10 days to get them off to a strong start.
    After they are one-week-old ,like the other poster said, give them chick Grit. sprinkle it on the food for 2 days... then just put it in a little cup off the side and they will find it. See the URL above for the thread about 'the science of feeding grit". in post four is a link to a PDF. go to the second page of the PDF brochure which has a feeding schedule on which size grip to feed them at which age.
    grit is important because it helps them grow a larger , healthier gizzard. when they start to lay eggs this larger Healthier gizzard can result in as much as 20% more eggs per bird .
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  6. Barnmom45

Barnmom45 New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    I didn't use medicated feed for my last chicks or this time and they are very healthy.

7. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Were they vaccinated though?

8. 1chickens1

Aug 28, 2016
    thank youuuuuu[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by