1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Jul 30, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    I have read some places that your not supposed to feed the chicks until 3 days of age because they can rely off of the egg yolk for three days or so???? my black star hen Nantee is setting on eggs and they will hatch in about a week!!! I AM SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You should go ahead and put food and water in (if nothing else, for mom to eat). It is true they don't need to eat for.up to.3 days because they are still absorbing their yolks, but some will be ready to eat and drink as soon as they get their legs under them. Good luck with your soon-to-hatch chicks!

3. youngenbreeder

youngenbreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    you want to provide food and water as soon as posible to they can get a good start to life and build up their strenght.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you let the mama raise them, she should take them to food and water at the right time, usually after a day or so of recovering from hatching underneath her. I have a link to an article about broodies called "let mama do it" -- that about says it!

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Just because they can rely on the yolk for three days does not mean they have to or that they get any additional benefit from that. When a broody hatches a brood, she may keep them on the nest for a couple of days or she may bring them off within 24 hours of the first one hatching. When she brings them off, she starts teaching them to eat and drink.

I've read the same thing on posts on this forum and it does not agree with what I see a broody do with her chicks.

6. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    thanks for all the replys!!!!!! will mama be able to eat and drink out of those small little containers or should i give mama another waterer? I am going to isolate them from the flock for a few days before letting them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by