Chick food

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
Hi. This is my first time hatching eggs! They should be due on the 28th. When they hatch do I get them regular chick starter or medicated chick starter? Thanks.

Quote:
In a way you've just opened a controversy haha. I personally use medicated. But it depends on your views. Some say non medicated because they want it to be all natural/organic or they just don't want those antibiotics to be in their bodies. Which I can understand. However I feed medicated to reduce risk of coccidiosis (sp?) That can be fatal.

So how long do you feed them medicated? Usually, when I get chicks from a hatchery (or wherever) I just get them normal chick starter and when they are about 4 weeks I give them corn feed. They seem to like it more.

On my breeding birds I feed starter til 16 weeks. then switch to layer pellets. On birds that I'm just keeping for fun I switch earlier because the layer pellets are cheaper. When they actually are done growing and stuff I offer corn and pellets and oyster shells. they seem to like the corn better but eating just corn by itself is not sufficient nutrients. So when they're growing and developing I make sure they get a good start.

I have fat chickens!
lol.png
Well, I guess not fat but a pretty good size! lol

Haha yeah most chickens will do fine with that. Its just meatys that are a whole different ball game. But when they start laying corn will not be good enough. It doesn't have enough protein or calcium that are needed for egg production. This doesn't really mean they won't lay but the condition of the birds might suffer. Chickens give up their appearance before they give up production.

Back
Top Bottom