1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shotgun707, Dec 1, 2011.

1. shotgun707

shotgun707 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2011
    what types of vegatables can baby chickes eat

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I don't give mine "extras" until they are about five to six weeks old...I prefer giving them foods formulated to provide the optimum nutrition while they are growing. My 5-6 week olds get extras simply because that is about the time I start letting them have outside time, but I think as long as its small pieces, they are able to eat all kinds of stuff.

3. shotgun707

Nov 30, 2011
    like small lettus and ect?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    As the primary food or as a treat?

5. shotgun707

Nov 30, 2011
    primary

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Hey [​IMG]

I would feed baby's regular medicated chick feed with vitamins in the water. Remember they are just babys and the food you feed should be for a baby. The chicks organs are just growing and forming.

If you want to feed them any people food let it be proteins after 3 weeks like scrambled eggs or hard boiled eggs crushed up. I like to give the little girls flax seed, yogurt for a bit.

Here is a chicken food chart of things you may try. Remember they are babies and everything in moderation.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Best of luck to you and enjoy the BYC [​IMG]

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    oh thats a tough one. They need so many nutrients as they are growing so super fast that it would be very difficult to create your own primary feed source and still provide all of the protien, vitamins, and minerals they will need, and in the propper amounts. As babies, they grow SO fast that they need lots of nutritious foods to support their systems. If you are not using a mother hen to raise your babies (so she can show them what to eat), I strongly recommend against trying to use veggies as your primary diet. I would definatly recommend a chick starter formula.

When I start letting my little babies outside, the extras I am refering to are any little bugs and blades of grass, and anything else they may have access to while outside.

Things like lettuce are not nearly nutrient dense enough to be a good primary food source. Most varieties are mostly water and fiber. In essence, by trying to use something like lettuce as your main diet, the chicks are expending a LOT of energy to process a food that is not giving them a good payback in energy in return. From the minute they hatch out of the egg, they immediately start using up unbelieveable amounts of energy, and they need energy rich, nutrient rich foods to support that crazy growth.

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    if you have them inside the house in a brooder make sure you give them grit, if you give them anything other than chickstarter. [​IMG] chicks that are raised outside with their mom's, get to eat rocks and sand inside babies don't have that luxury.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  9. Evie_W

Evie_W Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2011
    We gave our two bubs medicated chickstarter (there was no option at our local feed store for non-medicated otherwise we might have considered it), for the first few weeks. They have been free-ranging with their adoptive mum for the last couple of weeks (4-5 weeks old) so they eat all manner of things - tiny insects, ants, clover, grass and all sorts of kitchen scraps! We also give them a mixture of wild bird seed, chickstarter, sometime yoghurt, and provide grit for them. I've never seen them touch the grit but they might be finding their stones etc elsewhere while free-ranging. Happy to report that they're growing quickly and seem to have no problem with this hodge-podge diet [​IMG]

10. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:If they are out there with a Momma she will show them al the ropes on what to eat and what not too, when my outside youngster were little I supplied the feed and momma supplied all the fresh food , like plants bug whatever and I didnt worry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by