Chick Food

iluvpeeps

Songster
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Somewhere
One of my hens eggs just hatched and I don't know what I should do about food. Will she feed the chick or do I have to do something?

Make sure that your feeder and waterer is chick friendly. You might want to put some rocks in the waterer lip if it is deep to prevent drowning. She will drop some feed for the chick but it is best if the chick can reach the feed, too. You can put a little feeder near the nest box if necessary but the other chickens might take it.

What I like to do is use bricks as steps up to the feeder/waterer for the chicks (and concrete blocks next to the bricks), but be very careful of drowning potential.

You need to get chick starter food. Adult food doesn't have enough protein. Also layer food has to much calcium. Fair warning the big chickens will eat the chick food if they can get to it.

You need to get chick starter food. Adult food doesn't have enough protein. Also layer food has to much calcium. Fair warning the big chickens will eat the chick food if they can get to it.
x2

I like unmedicated organic chick starter. Give oyster shells on the side for your layers.

If you like medicated chick starter then you would have to make a decision on whether you want that in your eggs (assuming your layers can get to the feed).

Back
Top Bottom