Chick found dead, CPR miracle, will it recover?

Mpirgou

Chirping
Jul 12, 2020
Long Island, NY
I went out to the coop this morning to check on the broody hen and her single chick and there I saw the little chick dead not breathing in the dust bathe. Not sure if she got suffocated under mama while she was bathing or if she got too cold. I took her inside and immediately started warming her up with a heater.

She was not breathing, she was completely limp but not stiff so I knew she wasn’t gone for too long. I began giving her cpr on and off for about 10 minutes. I was just about to give up and Then the twitch of her leg sparked hope that there was still a chance. She slowly started to take breaths and about 10 minutes later this chick was back to breathing normal on her own.

After about 30 minutes since the start she regained consciousness and was very disorientated. I’ve been comforting her for the past few hours. She’s been chirping but is still a little shaky and unbalanced. She won’t waland she gets distressed if I pick her up.

So do you think she will recover? Anything I can or should do? When should I put her back with mama? Is there brain damage from lack of oxygen hence the disorientation?

Any input would be greatly appreciated 🙏 4EF018FD-1F99-445D-93FA-B523F2A46EF6.png
her when I first brought her in 33A3584C-394D-4613-9D96-49E8E28C86AD.png
recovering right after consciousness 972A9C47-EDA8-4927-85D5-D631295FEC4F.png
hour or so after disoriented( maybe a seizure?)
She kept looking up and falling over until I held her then she stopped. ED2059D3-4EF1-474F-BF5E-8776B263D763.jpeg her now

Attachments

• 7F4D064A-72E4-4CB2-B97D-8FBAA740ABA9.png
    7F4D064A-72E4-4CB2-B97D-8FBAA740ABA9.png
    5 MB · Views: 14
Okay, first make sure she has food and water. Not a lot, and be careful with the water, make sure it's not too deep. Add electrolytes to the water to help perk her up.
Make sure she stays warm, but not overheated.
So far amazing job!
With all the people on here, I think we can round up enough to help her live as long as possible.

My sister in law had a chick and it was given a bath by her toddler. Needless to say that was almost to the chicks demise. It was able to be saved after appearing similar to what you describe. It’s still alive and healthy. It does seem to have some mental handicaps and is very peculiar. Will sometimes act erratic and not sure what it’s doing. I tend to their lawn maintenance and it has to be placed in a dog crate inside their home covered with a quilt because it nearly kills itself in the run even when mowing across multiple acres. I guess it heard a rumble diesel sound in its brief stay on the other side.

Okay, first make sure she has food and water. Not a lot, and be careful with the water, make sure it's not too deep. Add electrolytes to the water to help perk her up.
Make sure she stays warm, but not overheated.
So far amazing job!
With all the people on here, I think we can round up enough to help her live as long as possible.
I dipped her beak in water and she drank, isn’t interested in food though.

Disoriented is normal post arrest, you will be able to gage if there's brain damage over the next few days/weeks. Great save! Was the coop heated or cold? If it's cold that could have helped as hypothermia before and after cardiac arrest helps with survivability.

Back
Top Bottom