Chick gender guessing game!

Kallyroberts

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 14, 2014
So here are some updated pics of the chicks....gender and breeds still in question so maybe these pics will help you out....
I'm much more in need of gender help :)
Here are the first guesses on the breeds:
#1) Molted Cochin Bantam (but I'm still concerned about the wings???)
#2) Cochin
#3) White Silkie
#4) Silver Seabright Bantam
#5) Rhode Island Red
#6) Gold Pyle or Old English Bantam
#7) White Leghorn (this one is really BIG compared to others)
#8) Black Silkie
#9) Cochin
10) Black Silkie

So my gender guesses are as follows:

#1) Cochin bantam- MALE
#2) Cochin- MALE
#3) White Silkie - NO IDEA
#4) Silver Seabright Bantam- FEMALE
#5) Rhode Island Red- FEMALE
#6) Gold Pyle or Old English Bantam- FEMALE
#7) White Leghorn- FEMALE
#8) Black Silkie- MALE
#9) Cochin- FEMALE
10) Black Silkie- FEMALE

The only thing they really looked different to me from your guesses, is the first. It looks like a light brahma to me, a male most likely with slow wing feathering. What kind of comb does it have, straight or pea?

The only thing they really looked different to me from your guesses, is the first. It looks like a light brahma to me, a male most likely with slow wing feathering. What kind of comb does it have, straight or pea?

I agree I have a very similar chick. Here it is at 4 weeks

And 5 weeks. I am showing the 4 weeks because the wing color is not right on the 5 week pics because of lighting.

I'm pretty sure it's a pea comb but I'll take some better pics today. And he doesn't have feathers on his feet like yours, but maybe it's bc he is developing slow. He is now almost 12 weeks!

I believe they are born with fuzz on their feet but not as much as a cochin here mine is at 2-3 days old.

When I was trying to figure this ones breed out there was a similar breed with clean feet I will try to find it for you.

I agree I have a very similar chick. Here it is at 4 weeks

And 5 weeks. I am showing the 4 weeks because the wing color is not right on the 5 week pics because of lighting.

This is a Silver Seabright Bantam and #4 does not look like one at all except for some detail on the wings. Maybe a mix?

I have had a silver seabright but it looked nothing like this, they have clean feet. We were referring to #1 not #4. My chick is a light brahma bantam, I am sure of this.

#4 looks like a poorly colored silver sebright to me. If these are hatchery stock, that could explain why the brahma has no feathering on the legs, just poor quality parents.

#1, 4, 6, 7 came from TSC and the rest from local breeders... This is my 1st go with chicks and chickens so I'm not sure on the breeds but I'm not sure what poor quality parents mean Sunshine.... I'm not showing them and my daughter loves them to death but is there anything wrong (long term) with the chicks? Should I keep or get rid of those :-(
And where do you buy your chicks?

Back
Top Bottom