Chick getting picked on, what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cicene mete, May 30, 2010.

1. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    When I woke up this morning, one of my Gamefowl chicks had been attacked by the others: raw skin with a little bit of blood on both shoulders and middle of the back. It has yellow feathers, and most of the others are dark-colored, so I don't know if that's why it got picked on. The chicks are between two and 2 1/2 weeks old.

I'm not quite sure what to do. Any advice? I have some "rooster booster -- pick no more" that I could put on it, but I'm not sure how long to keep this bird separated from the others. It's pretty stressed out. None of the others seem hurt, so I guess this one was ganged up on. Should I isolated by itself, or with a couple of the other chicks?

Thanks for any advice.

2. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    chickens are social animals, im pretty sure it would be more stressed being alone
    try the rooster booster, and keep an eye on it really, it may just be a ranking thing.
    sorry i cant be of more help [​IMG]

3. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    I am worried about that, but the chick is so beat up right now that it won't eat or drink. I'm afraid it would not last very long in the pen with the others.

There are 13 chicks in a pen that has roosts and is 6' x 10', so space is clearly not the issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by