chick getting worse, amprolium not eliminating cocci

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
So my chicks had bloody poop which had resolved by now, although these batch of chicks has had cocci twice and one of them is really lethargic, she will perk up when i give the amprolium the first few days but will detiriorate after. I want to take them to the vet but ive had the vet misdiagnose a lot of my chickens and had them die and ive found better success just treating them at home. The chick is starting to be in bad shape now and im thinking i need to change drugs. We don't have corid here but i was treating her with a drug that has amprolium.

Will sulfa drugs help with this strain? but which one to get? i am located in indonesia and the brands usually used are not sold here but we do have a lot of different meds for chickens. Im not sure which drug is good for cocci but we do have ones that have this ingridient here:
- sodium sulfaquinoxaline

- sulfadiazine with trimethoprim

- ampicylin with colistin sulfade

Last edited:
Use the sulfadiazine with trimethoprim. Hopefully it's in powder form and can just be added to the water with amprolium.
today is the amproliums 8th day so its at half dose, should i use it together with the sufadiazine?

Ive used both of the ones you've listed. May or may not work. The instructions on one of them said that it can provide a more broad-spectrum antibiotic when used with other anticoccis, which i assume they meant amprolium. So @azygous answer is accurate about mixing it.

Read the instructions on all the available medicines in the store, sometimes they are very informative.

I am not blown away by the results of my trials with those medicines you've listed, but I have seen some positive results.

So my chicks had bloody poop which had resolved by now, although these batch of chicks has had cocci twice and one of them is really lethargic, she will perk up when i give the amprolium the first few days but will detiriorate after. I want to take them to the vet but ive had the vet misdiagnose a lot of my chickens and had them die and ive found better success just treating them at home. The chick is starting to be in bad shape now and im thinking i need to change drugs. We don't have corid here but i was treating her with a drug that has amprolium.

Will sulfa drugs help with this strain? but which one to get? i am located in indonesia and the brands usually used are not sold here but we do have a lot of different meds for chickens. Im not sure which drug is good for cocci but we do have ones that have this ingridient here:
- sodium sulfaquinoxaline

- sulfadiazine with trimethoprim

- ampicylin with colistin sulfade

Have you tried a drench? Sometimes giving the sick chickens an undiluted dose of liquid amprolium one a day for three days can produce improvement. This is especially helpful if coccidia loads are heavy.

Here in the US we give an undiluted dose at .1ml per pound of body weight for three days in addition to the amprolium mixed in the drinking water.

I live in indonesia
I am using a product named Therapy, each gram has:
100 mg oxytetracycline HCL
50 mg Amprolium
said it should help with cocci and CRD

So my chicks had bloody poop which had resolved by now, although these batch of chicks has had cocci twice and one of them is really lethargic, she will perk up when i give the amprolium the first few days but will detiriorate after.
Try the Sulfa Drugs to see if that helps. What you have been using may not have enough amprolium to take care of the Coccidia load. Since she improves with the product you are using, then she may have infection since Oxytetracycline is the main component.
I'm unable to translate a lot of the instructions on there, but do try the Sulfa Drug to see if that helps.

She may be suffering from something else as well. If you can post some updated photos of her and her poop that may be helpful.

Here's some photos of what I think you were using and a link to your other thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidocis-or-did-the-feed-do-this.1495505/

1633102471039.png

1633102434121.png

Ive used both of the ones you've listed. May or may not work. The instructions on one of them said that it can provide a more broad-spectrum antibiotic when used with other anticoccis, which i assume they meant amprolium. So @azygous answer is accurate about mixing it.

Read the instructions on all the available medicines in the store, sometimes they are very informative.

I am not blown away by the results of my trials with those medicines you've listed, but I have seen some positive results.
okay thanks, will be using them together although with amprolium at half dose since i already did it for 7 days. hoping the chick will get better, this batch of chicks had so many problems since hatch.
Have you tried a drench? Sometimes giving the sick chickens an undiluted dose of liquid amprolium one a day for three days can produce improvement. This is especially helpful if coccidia loads are heavy.

Here in the US we give an undiluted dose at .1ml per pound of body weight for three days in addition to the amprolium mixed in the drinking water.
there is instructions on the product i was using about drenching actually but thought since the chick has had 7 days of amprilium and another 7 days with a week in between. could this be too much for the chick?
Try the Sulfa Drugs to see if that helps. What you have been using may not have enough amprolium to take care of the Coccidia load. Since she improves with the product you are using, then she may have infection since Oxytetracycline is the main component.
I'm unable to translate a lot of the instructions on there, but do try the Sulfa Drug to see if that helps.

She may be suffering from something else as well. If you can post some updated photos of her and her poop that may be helpful.

Here's some photos of what I think you were using and a link to your other thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coccidocis-or-did-the-feed-do-this.1495505/

View attachment 2852114

View attachment 2852113
yes that is the one i was using for the chicks, i think i will be doing the sulfadiazine to see if anything improves

i will post the pics in the morning since they are all sleeping now.

I hope you figure out a solution for your chicks'. Some anticocci drug instructions say to not mix with vitamins including medicated feed, and some instructions lack any detail at all. In general I assume one is not supposed to mix any sort of vitamin supplements with anticocci medication. I'm only mentioning this in case your chicks are getting vitamins with the cocci meds, it would render them less effective, or possibly totally negate the medicine.

okay thanks, will be using them together although with amprolium at half dose since i already did it for 7 days. hoping the chick will get better, this batch of chicks had so many problems since hatch.

there is instructions on the product i was using about drenching actually but thought since the chick has had 7 days of amprilium and another 7 days with a week in between. could this be too much for the chick?

yes that is the one i was using for the chicks, i think i will be doing the sulfadiazine to see if anything improves

i will post the pics in the morning since they are all sleeping now.

I hope you figure out a solution for your chicks'. Some anticocci drug instructions say to not mix with vitamins including medicated feed, and some instructions lack any detail at all. In general I assume one is not supposed to mix any sort of vitamin supplements with anticocci medication. I'm only mentioning this in case your chicks are getting vitamins with the cocci meds, it would render them less effective, or possibly totally negate the medicine.
I asked the seller if the feed was okay with the medications and they said the feed im using would be best with the meds. I am not giving them any vitamins just yet.

here are the pics of the chick, she flew up to me when i opened the brooder this morning so she must be feeling much better, i open the brooder to let them explore the room each day.
2F30B2BE-6997-449D-B521-6AC2B3767161.jpeg
CA094929-D406-491F-890C-B3A1A607A525.jpeg

some days she looks better and the next she just goes back to not moving much

BD3AE17C-2166-4BA3-AA2A-0CBC3F98872F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom