Chick goes into lock down today but embryo looks small

tanithcrane

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2016
I had 6 eggs which were set on the 2nd of April and temp set to 37.2 as before I've had it higher and chicks struggled to hatch
Only one was developing and was un sure whether to terminate or not I didn't want to hatch a chick on its own and one other egg looked like it was forming veins I kept that egg untill I knew it was not going to develop and by then the other chick had developed quite abit so I didn't have the heart to stop it
I've put incubator into lock down but on final candling chick is very small looks maybe under 2 weeks
Is there anything I can do and should I have put bator into lock down

I don't think delaying lockdown is beneficial, if it is too small to make it, then it is too small to make it and you can't change it or speed it up.
Turning is crucial for the first week and less important the more the embrio is able to move by itself so yes lockdown, expect it to be a day late but if it is any later than that its chances will go down dramatically.
Clearly the temperature was off this time. You say it was off last time too but if you had more luck last time than this time maybe you were too low last time and went even lower.

Have you got an additional thermomete to check temperature all around the incubator? Better to get it right than to lose more eggs.

Another possibility is that your incubator cannot hold a constant steady temperature, too big temperature fluctuations are no good.

I don't think delaying lockdown is beneficial, if it is too small to make it, then it is too small to make it and you can't change it or speed it up.
Turning is crucial for the first week and less important the more the embrio is able to move by itself so yes lockdown, expect it to be a day late but if it is any later than that its chances will go down dramatically.
Clearly the temperature was off this time. You say it was off last time too but if you had more luck last time than this time maybe you were too low last time and went even lower.

Have you got an additional thermomete to check temperature all around the incubator? Better to get it right than to lose more eggs.

Another possibility is that your incubator cannot hold a constant steady temperature, too big temperature fluctuations are no good.
I checked all humidity and temp stayed same as I set it throughout humidity was 45 percent and now egg in lock down I increased it to 75 percent thankyou for your help and reply this is only my third time hatching eggs my last two hatches 6 out of 8 hatched but this one is alot less successful I kept turning it untill lock down so incubator kept being opened maybe that's the problem
Egg was meant to hatch on the 22nd but still nothing I've candled and it hasn't internally pipped I can't hear anything but whole egg is black so chick has grown
Should I just wait and see if chick hatches

Back
Top Bottom