chick going bald!! mites?? lice what???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jackrooster, May 14, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    what chicks are going bald!!! how do i get rid of the lice/mites??............i cant see then on them but i got a cochin that is totallly bald!! and 1 that is on it way to looking that way......and other that have bald patches!! how do i get rid of them!?!?!? or what is it?? do clean out my whole chicken coop shavings and all?? and what do i put on the chicks?? and should i spray bleach everywhere to kill them???? help pleaseeeeeee thanks!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    OK. Calm down and put the punctuation marks away. Deep breath.

Are you sure they have bugs? If so...

You will need to clean the whole coop with something like Oxine. Remove every stitch of bedding and spray every surface. Before you put anything back into the coop, make sure it is completely dry and sprinkle Seven around liberally. Every bird will need to be treated. Use Seven or the insecticide of your choice on each bird. Treat all birds as directed. Some folks like to use a pillowcase to shake the bird in. It keeps the dust on the birds' bodies and out of their faces. Be prepared to repeat this whole procedure in 7-10 days so go easy on the bedding.

It's a nuisance, but not the end of the world. Good luck.

3. jackrooster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:what is seven around leberally???and where can i buy oxine???

4. Wiglwerm

Wiglwerm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2009
    Sevin dust, you can buy it at Walmart in the garden section, kills about every type of bug. Are you sure it's from bugs? Sometimes they lose feathers from the mating ritual...HUUMMM, now that you mention it I did notice some of the young chickens at the feed store were bald on their heads...I thought they were pecking each other. Not sure now. I don't know about the Oxine...sorry [​IMG] (maybe some pictures would give us a better idea) I have dealt with lice, mites and stick tight fleas and never had any balding before. Maybe a bored bully chicken? [​IMG]

5. jackrooster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:this is what one of them looks like...........something is deffanitly wrong??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all the same chick........and some have little patches miss and another cochin is starting to look like this .......does anyone have any idea what it is??

6. jackrooster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    ?????

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Wow I have never seen anything like this before. Very strange...I was thinking that they are pecking each other but that is a little TOO bald for just that. I hope someone can help you figure out what wrong. I'm not so sure it's lice/mites though.

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Wow, I was thinking maybe some type of vitamin deficiency or a genetic defect, how old are they?

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That does not look like the work of mites or lice. I have never seen anything quite like that, but I am inclined to agree with Jerseygirl1 on this and say it's nutritional or genetic.

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I may lean towards genetic, since I got some cochin bantams from ideal, and the back feathers on the roo never grwe in, it looks like he was scalped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by