Chick got foot caught. Bruised toe and hock. HELP NOW!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenGoesRuff, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    I have a week old California White Chick. Today I went out to the brooder and it was just laying beside the edge in between the galvanized feeder and the corrugated plastic border of the brooder. I tried to gently pick it up. I put it down on the bedding and it could sorta walk. I held the chick above warm water, soaking the foot. I wrapped a paper towel on the foot loosely. I applied flour to stop bleeding. Exterior toe on left foot badly bruised. Rest of foot has minor abrasions. Hock has small bruise. Chick peeping when I talk to it. Moved a little. I have had a Meat chicken that lived a full life with a bum leg from an injury as a chick. I want to know if there is anything I can do to help it, and if it has a chance at a normal life.
    White stuff in image is flour[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh that looks painful, but it may heal up well. I would soak it in warm epsom salts daily, and apply some betadine to the leg so that it may disguise the red wounds from the others. If he gets pecked at excessively, he may need to be separated in the brooder by a little fence, or in a little box.

3. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Thanks. I have it separated and will try Epsom salts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by