Chick got lick lots by dog

Pics

Mutchi

Crowing
Apr 5, 2021
hamilton MT
My Coop
My Coop
I have a chick that got out of the brooder well my dog barged in (like always) and locked it lots. I was outside the whole time working with my chickens (mite dusting) then I walked to my room and noticed that a chick was missing 😳 I looked everywhere (I ended up overlooking it) but found it on the floor. It was soaked and cold. We put it on the lid of the brooder (in a bowl) a let it warm up. There's no wounds on it but I need a idea on what I should check for.
20210507_173716.jpg

How old is the chick? Was any of its down ripped out? It's possible that the chick is in shock so keeping it warm is important. If it's wet, you may want to get it dried with a blow dryer but don't let it burn the chicks skin
The chick is about a month and a half now 😳 I don't have a blow dryer 😒I have it under a heat lamp

Blow drying will also help you look under the down for punctures and/or injuries. Even the most well meaning dogs can cause serious injury to chicks. Do you have any nutri drench? It's important to keep it warm and watch out for dehydration. I wish you and your little fluffy friend the best!
How can I keep it fed and hydrated?

It was just damp but it won't really stand just sitting in its bowl sleeping.
I would get the chick calmed down and out of shock first. This may take a little while. Just leave it in a warm stress free environment. If you have nutri drench or sugar water, you can offer that, but first let the chick calm down and out of panic mode. Others with a lot of knowledge will be along soon.

I would get the chick calmed down and out of shock first. This may take a little while. Just leave it in a warm stress free environment. If you have nutri drench or sugar water, you can offer that, but first let the chick calm down and out of panic mode. Others with a lot of knowledge will be along soon.
Well it's sleeping in the bowl but waking up to look around...

Back
Top Bottom