Chick got mauled by hen

Roseyfoxx

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2021
This happens occasionally but not usually at this age. This chicks face has been skinned on the right side, cants stand or move other than his wings and can still move his head and drink, not able to eat. Consistent trembles, and chirps strongly if ruffled up. So far I’ve given him some water with the tiniest amount of tylosin. I just put a chicken food mush into it bc he can’t eat anything. He’s trying to sit up I think, but only able to move side to side. Feet are curled and cold to the touch. Any and all advice and information is appreciated

Attachments

• 5B40CDC1-14B0-43FD-93ED-3F9C1A7D7A7D.jpeg
    5B40CDC1-14B0-43FD-93ED-3F9C1A7D7A7D.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 6
  • EB47EC3F-BAE2-4C14-ACF5-38BC33C712D0.jpeg
    EB47EC3F-BAE2-4C14-ACF5-38BC33C712D0.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 38E6BC2A-EF23-4CD6-891F-B7A83F220E0C.jpeg
    38E6BC2A-EF23-4CD6-891F-B7A83F220E0C.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 4
  • B1FB41CB-37C0-4910-BD68-6AF59740D703.jpeg
    B1FB41CB-37C0-4910-BD68-6AF59740D703.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 4
So far I’ve given him some water with the tiniest amount of tylosin.
How long ago did this happen?

Work on hydration. Sugar water or electrolytes, is what I usually do. Antibiotics may be needed if the wound is infected. I've found that most of the time if the wound is cleaned well initially and the kept moist with triple antibiotic ointment, most heal fine without abx.
The eye is a little concerning, I would make sure to keep working a bit of ointment into the eye as well so it doesn't remain stuck closed and you can see if it's intact.

If you feel she does need the abx, then give the proper amount instead of the "tiniest amount". I'm assuming since you say Tylosin, it's the powder. Just mix up a quart at a time. See if she will free drink it, if not, then syringe the medicated water into her.

I would also get some poultry vitamins into her - look for one that has E, B2 and B1.

Trauma to the head can affect balance. Depending on how long ago she was injured, she may still be in shock too. Keep her warm and see how it goes.

How long ago did this happen?

Work on hydration. Sugar water or electrolytes, is what I usually do. Antibiotics may be needed if the wound is infected. I've found that most of the time if the wound is cleaned well initially and the kept moist with triple antibiotic ointment, most heal fine without abx.
The eye is a little concerning, I would make sure to keep working a bit of ointment into the eye as well so it doesn't remain stuck closed and you can see if it's intact.

If you feel she does need the abx, then give the proper amount instead of the "tiniest amount". I'm assuming since you say Tylosin, it's the powder. Just mix up a quart at a time. See if she will free drink it, if not, then syringe the medicated water into her.

I would also get some poultry vitamins into her - look for one that has E, B2 and B1.

Trauma to the head can affect balance. Depending on how long ago she was injured, she may still be in shock too. Keep her warm and see how it goes.
Thank you for the feedback! As far as measurements I have a scoop for the tylosin and just used the smaller measurement. I found her yesterday afternoon once all of the other chickens went around foraging. I cleaned up her face yesterday but wasn’t sure what to put on her face so I will try the ointment. She can drink if I bring the water to her beak, but otherwise can’t do much. She is staying beside me so I can consistently give her water

I had scalping issues along time ago, so now I no longer introduce chicks at young ages of 6-8 weeks old into the flock of adult birds.

I introduce them at about 4-5 months of age. Depending on breeds, I can introduce at 3.5 months.

I'd clean, & treat the area with a wet rag, & Triple Antibiotic ointment.

Thank you for the feedback! As far as measurements I have a scoop for the tylosin and just used the smaller measurement. I found her yesterday afternoon once all of the other chickens went around foraging. I cleaned up her face yesterday but wasn’t sure what to put on her face so I will try the ointment. She can drink if I bring the water to her beak, but otherwise can’t do much. She is staying beside me so I can consistently give her water
Drinking on her own with your help is good.

Measure the amount of powder that is in your scoop, that way you can divide it up and give her the right dose of the Tylosin. It may help stave off infection.

I would still get some vitamins into her as well. The head injury may be what's making it difficult to get her legs under her well. When an eye is involved, a lot of times they seem to huddle too.
Hopefully she's not lost the eye, but even if she has, birds usually can adjust ok.

Thank you all for the advice! It’s much appreciated 😊 As for an update she was eating and drinking well until she had two seizure like freezes that happened about 15 minutes apart. She still slowly coming back around and I’m not sure if it’s the last but I’m pretty sure it’s caused by the head trauma. I have added the vitamins to her water and her eye that’s damaged is able to blink

Last edited:
Thank you all for the advice! It’s much appreciated 😊 As for an update she was eating and drinking well until she had two seizure like freezes that happened about 15 minutes apart. She still slowly coming back around and I’m not sure if it’s the last but I’m pretty sure it’s caused by the head trauma. I have added the vitamins to her water and her eye that’s damaged is able to blink
Poor thing!

I hope she starts to improve. I agree, I would think the seizures are from the head trauma. Hopefully the vitamin E and B will help to repair some of that.

The eye being able to blink is good. I would keep the triple antibiotic ointment on it. If you find that the eye gets a bit of gunk or foam in the corner, then you can rinse it with a little saline (use a qtip if you need too), then reapply your triple antibiotic ointment. It won't hurt to get the ointment in the eye. I've used it several times with eye injury and it's worked well.

Keep up posted on how she gets along.

Poor thing!

I hope she starts to improve. I agree, I would think the seizures are from the head trauma. Hopefully the vitamin E and B will help to repair some of that.

The eye being able to blink is good. I would keep the triple antibiotic ointment on it. If you find that the eye gets a bit of gunk or foam in the corner, then you can rinse it with a little saline (use a qtip if you need too), then reapply your triple antibiotic ointment. It won't hurt to get the ointment in the eye. I've used it several times with eye injury and it's worked well.

Keep up posted on how she gets along.
She is doing wonderful! No more seizures and eating perfectly. I put more of the vitamins E and B in her mash and it seemed to really perk her up. She’s talking, wagging her tail and looking to explore. Her eye still needs lots of care for the trauma, but she can open it fully. It stays coated in the ointment unless she gets gunk on it then I just wipe it

She is doing wonderful! No more seizures and eating perfectly. I put more of the vitamins E and B in her mash and it seemed to really perk her up. She’s talking, wagging her tail and looking to explore. Her eye still needs lots of care for the trauma, but she can open it fully. It stays coated in the ointment unless she gets gunk on it then I just wipe it
I'm glad to hear she's improving!

Is she able to walk some now too?

Back
Top Bottom