Chick got stuck in waterer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KatieRogers, Mar 1, 2014.

1. KatieRogers

KatieRogers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Had a bantam chick get stuck upside down in the waterer today, didn't drown just got wet and cold. I got it dried off and warmed back up and it's back up on it's feet running around and eating. What are my chances that this chick is going to be okay? It was pretty lifeless when I pulled it out. Thankfully I do use the typical chick waterers so the water was only 1/2" deep or so. Is there anything I should do for it to improve it's chances after this stress?

Katie

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It's good that you were able to rescue the chick. This happens fairly often to people, but once it happens, hopefully we learn from out mistakes. For the first week or two, it is good to put marbles or pebbles in the waterer to keep chicks from drowning in them. I use large pans of water outside in the summertime, and I once found a week old chick falling into a pan while the mother hen could do nothing. My friend who is a farmer loses several chicks a year because the chicks get into the goat buckets--he doesn't seem to know better. I don't think there is anything special you can do for the chick, but I hope it didn't do any permanent damage.

3. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

Welcome to BYC! It sounds like you took care of the problem, not much more you can do. She sounds like she'll be okay :).

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] I hope she's going to be ok.

5. KatieRogers

KatieRogers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    Thank you!! I added some glass pebbles to the waterer and will keep them in there for a couple weeks. These are my first Bantams and my bigger chicks have never had a problem with this waterer but I didn't take into account how much smaller these guys are when I was getting their house set up. Keeping my fingers crossed that she will be just fine.

Katie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by