Chick got trapped under a board and now drags it's leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lucky KY Chicks, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    I found one of my 6 week old Appenzeller Spitzhaubens night before last stuck under a piece of the cage framing. I do not know how long he was there but my guess is not long because they only pile in that corner when they sleep at night and they were all piled around him so I think he just got shimmied under there as they went to bed. I heard him peep a bit when I came in and everyone started to move around. I pulled him out easily and once I saw his leg dragging I took him inside for a splint. He wasnt straightening out his toes either so I splinted those as well. He had no external injuries. Using bubble wrap around his joint and tape on his feet and leg, I created this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He now can walk and run, just a little more stiffly. Anything else I should look out for? The issue with the framing has been addressed.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    A little update for you all, if anybody even reads this. "Stitch"(cast leg chick is named Stitch because it is also the chick who had me doing surgery for an umbilical hernia at 3 days old. I wrote about THAT adventure here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/912348/successful-surgery-on-chick-umbilical-hernia#post_13879657 ) anyway Stitch is doing awesome! I took the cast off after three days. During the three days the chick ran around and ate and drank great. There was one funny thing, I never got a video but when he would walk, he would step really high with his cast leg. It was like he was waving hi every other step lol. When I took the cast off he continued to wave for several hours but he could walk and run like nothing had ever happened! Now that it's been a week I think it's safe to say he is completely recovered!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    Awesome. Great job! Love the splint you made. :D

4. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Wow! Poor little chick went through a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by