1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick grit and oyster??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Summer98, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Is there a need at all for chick grit if they are only fed chick pellets and grass? I thought the grit is for digesting grains. Do you give grains to adults only?
    Also, do oyster shells serve the purpose as grit or is both grit and oyster needed for adults?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Oyster shell is fed to hens who are laying...can be free choice in a dish on the side. Its for extra calcium for strong shells, has nothing to do with grit.

If your chickens free range, they will not need extra grit, they will get it off the ground in pebbles and stones they pick up.

If your chicks are fed grass, yes, they will need grit (at least that is my understanding)

If your adults are not free ranged, yes, grit will be needed.

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    if they are out side they can pretty much find the grit they need....once winter comes and they are in a coop its a good idea to offer all chickens
    some grit....but if they only eat chicken feed it isnt necessary

4. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    It depends a lot on your local soil and geology.

From Jeff Mattocks, nutritionist at Fertrell:

Jeff Mattocks' :

I often hear "They get all the grit they need from the pasture/dirt." Try this test: go dig up the surface soil from 4 square feet, 1 inch deep. Then screen this topsoil for the stone particles in the soil. Then grade the different size particle to achieve the desired size for your poultry's stage of growth. Let me know how much grit you find at the appropriate size. Unless your chickens are grazing a gravel pit (in which case there wouldn't be much grass growing), you're unlikely to have enough grit for your birds on the pasture unless you provide it.

Taken from APPPA Grit!, issue 58, July, Aug 2010.​

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I use course sand in my run but I still offer grit, and the girls do use it. I think it's good to have it out as a precaution. The girls seem to know what they need. The same goes for oyster shell. The girls get a varied diet but they still have a container of oyster shell and I see them use it. It's not expensive so might as well try it out.

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I use grit because my soil is a fine particle clay. Also, give oyster shell and egg shells for calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by