Chick Grit Flavored?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jarhead, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I bought a bag of chick grit to give my chicks in the brooder with treats. When I opened it, I was overwhelmed by a smell which I find very offensive - LICORICE [​IMG] I hate the stuff. I looked at the bag and the ingredients are crushed granite, anise, and red coloring. Why do they need flavored grit and for God's sake why can't it be red licorice instead of black??? [​IMG]

2. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

What anise does, it helps stop gas, furmantion in the gut and upset tummys,.

I'm not sure why they put in the red coloring.

when i give to my babys, they love it. [​IMG]
    i mixed with (O) oat flour, (O) corn meal, and just a little (O) ground up flax seed.

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Technically anise isn't licorice and red licorice has no licorice in it. Just a mix of sugar and such like other candy. Anise is just a useful, healthy herb that animals usually like the taste and smell of.

4. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    you can get plain crushed granite without any additives-or use sand

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    I know technically anise isn't licorice and red licorice isn't either. But, anise does smell and taste like the nasty black stuff to me ;
    ) Incidentally, I buy black licorice all the time for my father in law, he loves the stuff - brownie points [​IMG] I don't mind giving it to the chicks it was just a shock to my nose.

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    The red color is probably to attract them to it, like the red waterer bases. I didnt know that about Anise that it was good for tummies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by