Chick Grit/food question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ShamanRawb, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ShamanRawb

ShamanRawb New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi Everyone!
    So My chicks are about 3 weeks old-ish. They vary because one is a bit younger but feisty and doing very well! (and a bantam!).
    I started grinding their food in my VitaMix because I bought them Organic food which was not very small and dedicated to chicks. They seem to like it and I mix it with the full size since some of the Pullets are getting a bit big.
    I fed them some small crickets and a few worms from our organic garden today and I thought it might be wise to start including some grit. I bought Grit from my local feedstore, but noticed the pebbles were all too large for at least the two Bantams mouths, and pushing it for the rest. I grinded this as well in the VitaMix. I just mixed about a 1/2 to 1 cup into a large serving bowl of ground/unground organic food.
    Does all this sound right? Is it a problem if the grit has been ground too much? Like a powder?
    Thanks again all,
    Rob

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Can you pull some dirt from your garden and let them scratch around in it? That's the easiest solution I've found to giving chicks something to do that is good for them too. I've never given my chicks grit. I just give them dirt to play in.

3. ShamanRawb

ShamanRawb New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    That's great advice Tressa. I will do that. Thank you.
    My main concern at this time is will the finely ground grit cause them any problems when mixed with their food? Will it cause digestion or bowel movement problems? I just don't want that to be a mistake. I actually pulled it out until I can get more info just in case.
    Thanks again,
    Rob

4. Tressa27884

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    Well....if you're going to pull dirt from your garden you could sprinkle in a bit of the grit, I don't think it would hurt them that way. I throw oyster shell down even for my littlest babies just for some change in what they get. I know this sounds contrary - but they really are hardier than we give them credit for.

When I'm thinking about what to give them I consider what it is they would be getting if they were being raised by mama. She would be a lot less careful with them than we are. My babies thrive and I'm really not that careful with them. IMO as long as they have fresh water and chick starter they always seem to do ok. I have a variety of breeds; LF and Bantams. I don't make any changes based on size. Food, water, and clean bedding and they do fine.

Don't overthink it Rob and you will be fine. Oh and I forgot.....

[​IMG]

5. ShamanRawb

ShamanRawb New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    [email protected]
    Thanks Tressa. I am king of the Over-thinkers.. lol. I lost a chick from our first batch the other night to coccidiosis I think. Well, I actually had to take care of it myself, something I hope to never have to do again. Even harder when you don't eat meat..lol.
    I just didn't want the finely ground grit to compact like clay in them. I also don't want to waste it if I don't have to!
    Thanks again for your input. I like the dirt idea. I may put some in now actually...

6. Tressa27884

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    How did you cull your chick? I had to do that recently too. Hated it! I hatched out several babies and one was really malformed. I keep a REALLY sharp pair of scissors just for that. It was quick and painless for the chick - but I cried for about 20 minutes. That's the downside to raising chickens. In two years I've only had to cull two chicks, sorry you had to do it so early. It doesn't get any easier.

Enjoy your babies and post pictures when you have enough posts [10] to do it.

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Most feed stores sell chick grit. This is what you want to use. I start giving mine chick grit after they are a week old. I just put a bowl of it in their brooder. They help them self when they need it. I don't mix if with their food. Also you mentioned that you are grinding up food for them. If it is a Grower feed you are probably fine. If it is a layer food then it has too much calcium and not enough protein. It will not be formulated for young growing birds. You want to use a chick food if possible.

To the poster giving your chicks oyster shell... This is not grit. It contains too much calcium for chicks. You should not be giving them oyster shell until they start laying eggs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by