Chick Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emscheid, Mar 19, 2016.

1. emscheid

emscheid Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Just bought some grit so we can start giving our chicks an occasional treat, but my hubby accidentally bought regular grit, instead of chick grit. Should we return it, or can we still use it? (maybe filter it or crush it up?) What would happen if they accidentally ate some pieces that are too big? or do they know to only eat the ones they can "handle"?

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    If it were me, I would get the chick-sized grit just in case. Babies aren't always smart about what they put in their mouths! You can always hang onto the regular grit for when they grow up.

3. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Grit is important if they are eating anything besides starter feed, yes! if you are feeding anything else, treats like veggies (mine love microgreens and sprouts) or meal worms etc. I started mine on some grit when they began eating treats like this...and they wolfed down the grit. I started with treats when they were about a week and a half.

I would try and grind it down a bit and/or feed it anyway...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would try to sift it, using several different sizes of sieves, there are usually quite of bit of 'fines'.

1 person likes this.
  5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Now why didn't I think of that?

6. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi, [​IMG]
    Here ya go. The 1st 4 posts are explanatory. The 2nd page of the Gran-I-Grit PDF referenced in post # 4 has feeding instructions. Including which size to feed at what age.
    The Science Of Feeding Grit To Poultry
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry
    Not to worry about buying the wrong size now. You can use it later, smile.
    I get my Gran-I-Grit at Agway. Less than 10.00 or 50 lbs. Also useful around the property
    for projects other than poultry. Or share with your other chicken friends.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good to know, thanks:
    http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by