Chick grit?

BroodyBea

In the Brooder
May 27, 2017
Eastern CAN
im getting my three day old chicks some grit so I can start hand feeding them a little bit of treats to make them more friendly. Do I mix it with their food? Can I mix it with their food? Just put it in a plate?

im getting my three day old chicks some grit so I can start hand feeding them a little bit of treats to make them more friendly. Do I mix it with their food? Can I mix it with their food? Just put it in a plate?
Check your bag of chick feed ... it may already include grit. I not, put it in a separate dish. Gently tap at it with your index finger to show them what and where it is and they should take what they need when they need it.

I'm a newbie and it was suggested to me to put it in a small bowl and let them partake at will. Mine @ 4 days started munching on it a bit. I used a small pyrex storage container.

They're too young for grit or treats. Wait until they are a week old for grit and older for treats. They are not puppies. Their G. I . Tract is not mature enough yet. If you want to give them a probiotic to help support the G.I. tract , that's great. At this age helps should be for that purpose.Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutridrench is great for this. It doesn't need digested. Mainlines directly into the bloodstream. Measureable in 11 minutes. All natural. Give each chick one drop only by mouth. Then put 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water for the first two weeks to get them off to a strong start.
Http://www.nutridrench.com
For yogurt, use Okios Triple Zero vanilla Yogurt. Put some in a small saucer or cup. Take it out of the Brooder after about 10 minutes so it doesn't spoil under the warm light.
Best,
Karen

Yes, just put the chick grit in a separate bowl and let them eat it at will. They are not too young and it helps them build a healthy crop.
They are a bit young for treats, though they might take tiny bits of raisin feom your fingers. Chickens are not adventurous and take a while to take to new treats - or new anything else for that matter - especially as chicks with no experience and no mama hen to guide them.
You can give scrambled eggs as treat, but they might just shrug at it for a few days and not eat it...
In a few weeks your treat offerings will go over much better! I used meal worms from when they were about three weeks old and got them used to a special call when I gave them to the chicks - now I can call my chickens when they are out free ranging and they come running to me - makes life easier!
There is no rush with the chicks however. Make sure you talk to them before approaching if they can't see you coming before you loom over them and just be calm in taking care of them. They may or may not be reserved about you, even if they take treats from you, though...

Thanks guys! Most of them are extremely friendly. There are two who will actively chase a fly that's been hanging around trying to eat it. They will also eat out of my hand too.

What about free range chicks? I have a hen who has a babe and from day one it was eating grass and weeds and bugs and stuff with mum.

Personally I'm new at this. I took the recommendation from a BYC member to add nutra-drench to their water as they were being shipped so putting a dropper full in each quart. I found some poop on their butts yesterday, I think it's just getting stuck to their fluff but just in case added chick grit and organic apple cider vinegar to the water. From what I've read both will help with avoiding pasty butt.

I've been sprinkling some of their on the litter and they have been happily digging through it for "treats". Might try some cooked egg in the palm of my hand later this week. One EE is already jumping on my hand for attention.

Thanks guys! Most of them are extremely friendly. There are two who will actively chase a fly that's been hanging around trying to eat it. They will also eat out of my hand too.

What about free range chicks? I have a hen who has a babe and from day one it was eating grass and weeds and bugs and stuff with mum.
When they free range, they have more access to grit laying about. If you have a small suburban yard, you may want to make some of varying sizes available in the run. Make sure there is small enough feed available like crumbles rather than pellets, watch out for crop issues and pasty butt, but really? Mama likely knows best! We human brain tend to overthink what the chicken brains already know!

LOL Mine were grabbing fruit flies within an hour of putting them in their brooder. Those pesky critters are everywhere right now. No idea why they are in my basement, there is rarely food down there.

I'm having no issues with pasty butt, just want them friendly. The one outside has its mum but the ones in here have me. We have seventy five acres that they roam freely.

Back
Top Bottom