Chick grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mazdacrzy, Jan 21, 2009.

1. mazdacrzy

mazdacrzy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    Winder, Georgia
    This issue probably has already been discussed, but help a new guy out. From my first hatching ever I got 2 cute little golden comets, they are a little over a week old now and I was wondering at what age do you introduce grit into their diets. Thanks, Nicola

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    when you are giving them whole or cracked grains anything that is not a mash or crumble feed

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    we don't until they go outside with the rest of the flock. I used to put house bird grit in with the chick starter, one day we ran out and there wasn't any difference so we quit using it. Some times the start n grow we get from southern states is ground kind of course for just hatched so we run that thru a blender to grind it up finer for the first couple weeks.

Steve in NC

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Most packaged chicken feed already has grit in it. Start n Grow is one of those feeds which includes grit. You don't need to add additional grit unless you're giving a lot of treats or other feeds that don't have grit in it.

5. mazdacrzy

mazdacrzy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2008
    Winder, Georgia
    Thanks for your replies. I was wanting to start feeding them some treats after week two or three. Right now all they are eating is the starter/grower feed from tsc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by