Allipockets

Chirping
Apr 8, 2018
My chicks are 5 days old, I want to let them out with their mama hen into the bottom of the coop. Do I need to provide grit to them? Thanks!

My chicks are 5 days old, I want to let them out with their mama hen into the bottom of the coop. Do I need to provide grit to them? Thanks!
You babbies are still too young for introducing the grit, but right after two weeks old you can provide them with chicken grit enriched with probiotics. It helps development of their digestive system. If you are having egg layers you can provide them with oyster shells instead which will help the egg production and is more natural as resource. Good luck

Chick grit can be offered from Day 1. There is no minimum age for grit. It doesn't need probiotics either (Probiotics don't hurt but I don't understand why it's added to grit. Marketing gimmick?) The reason babies don't always need grit from Day 1 is because mass produced chick starter is sort of "pre-digested" or ground up into small enough nutrients that they don't need the grit to digest it.

Personally I feed a starter mash in which I can see the millet and other grains. I feed grit from day 1, or else chicks wouldn't be able to digest it. They flourish.

Reading through this thread, do you think that a seperate grit needs to be offered up on the side if there is already oyster shell in the pellet feed (Purina pellets with Oyster strong)??

Reading through this thread, do you think that a seperate grit needs to be offered up on the side if there is already oyster shell in the pellet feed (Purina pellets with Oyster strong)??
Oyster shell is NOT grit. It is a calcium supplement for laying hens. They need grit in addition.

Oyster shell is NOT grit. It is a calcium supplement for laying hens. They need grit in addition.

^This. Grit is used by chickens to help grind up food. Birds don't have teeth, so they eat grit which ends up in their gizzard to help grind and break down feed before it moves through the rest of the digestive system. As noted above, if *all* your birds eat are commercial pellets/crumble, then they don't need grit as that feed breaks down in water. Plants, bugs and other foods require grit for proper digestion..

Calcium is not hard enough this grinding process and gets broken down by stomach acid. Commercial feeds generally are formulated with enough sufficient calcium, but it is a good idea to offer calcium on the side (not mixed in) for laying hens. They will eat it as they feel the need.

Back
Top Bottom