Chick Grit

JKChicks1

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2019
I’m planning on letting my chicks have outside time while our weather is still warm. If they are consistently going on field trips outside will I need to give them chick grit when I give them treats?
Also do I need to wait until a certain age to start giving various treats?

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
I’m planning on letting my chicks have outside time while our weather is still warm. If they are consistently going on field trips outside will I need to give them chick grit when I give them treats?

I don't, mine find their own grit in the ground. You might notice that yours peck the ground a lot while they are out there. You can if you want to, it won't hurt, but I find it unnecessary.

In some ways it might depend on the treat and whether they have had a chance to get grit, but a broody hen feeds her chicks all kinds of stuff we would call a treat soon after she takes them off the nest.

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Really depends on your soil and if there's enough natural tiny rocks in it that can serve as grit. As it's super cheap I personally prefer to supply some.

Treats are good for training and fine in moderation, just keep in mind how tiny a chick is so you don't overload them with treat options.

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
When in doubt, put it out. Grit is relatively cheep;)

TooCheep

Crowing
Feb 23, 2019
Indiana
Any time chickens eat anything other than commercial pellets or crumbles, they should have access to grit. Commercial feed quickly breaks down in water into a mush, which is easily digestible. Chickens don't have teeth, but vegetable matter, bugs, whole grain, etc. need to be physically broken down as part of the digestive process. Grit and the chicken's gizzard perform that function.

If your chickens do a lot of free ranging during the day, they will likely have no problem finding natural small rocks for the purpose. Otherwise, you should offer it on the side for them to consume when they feel the need.

Top Bottom