Chick grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fruit Juice, May 14, 2009.

1. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    I know this is a stupid question, but do you have to have chick grit if you want to feed them yogurt or grass?

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Yes, when you feed any treats they need grit.

3. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    I am glad I found this post, maybe I can get some advice here also. I have 6 one week old chicks, I have offered them yogurt twice with no takers, I just offered plain yogurt one time and mixed in a mash with their food another time, should I be doing sometihng different. Also, at this age, can I give them some grass or dandelion leaves or flowers, I also have a spearmint plant that I could trim off a few spriggs and give to them if you all think it is a good idea. I think they need something different to eat and do.

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Treats..
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Some chickens like yogurt some don't so if they aren't eating the yogurt move on to other things. I've given scrambled eggs, last night it was some lettuce and cornbread stuffing w/corn that was leftover from supper. Mine love spaghetti noodles, grapes, grass clippings. Just try various things, you'll find what they like and it will give them some variety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by