1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggcamefirst, Jun 12, 2011.

1. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    What is the best way to put grit in the brooder? Just buy some chick grit and put it in a small bowl?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:That's what I do. Then they spill it.
    I replace and they spill it,
    I replace and they spill it,
    I replace and they spill it...

see a pattern here [​IMG]

Imp

3. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    with my gals I always just tossed a handful or two into the brooder,allowing it to spread out.
    this gives them the chance to scratch for it like they would out in the barn with mama.

best of luck! [​IMG]

4. chickenseller94

chickenseller94 New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    Mount Airy, NC
    that should work...they will probably scratch it out of the bowl but they will get it off the ground if they do

5. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    What exactly do you use for chick grit??? I found small bird grit at the pet store, but I have two silkie chicks who are 5 days old and it was waaaay too big. I heard fish tank sand but couldn't find any. Looked at reptile sand, sodium bicarbonate and some calcium compound.... would that work??

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Tractor Supply Company sells chick grit. They only need it if you are giving them treats (things) other than their regular feed. It goes into the gizzard to grind up food. I use the TSC grit because it is granite grit (no calcium added) which is harder then what they pick up off of the ground. Some people use parakeet grit but most of it has calcium added which chicks don't need.

7. eggcamefirst

eggcamefirst Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Will they get enough if I just sprinkle it in the brooder. The litter is about 2-3 inches deep and I would be afraid they wouldn't find it. Would I be better off sprinkling it in with their food?

When I take them outside, they nibble on weeds and things in the mulch so I want to make sure they get enough grit to digest that kind of stuff....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by