Chick Grit

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by reelaxd, Jul 26, 2011.

1. reelaxd

reelaxd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Lynchburg
    is there any special type of chick grit or is sand good enough......any special type of sand or just sand??????

2. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
  3. reelaxd

reelaxd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Lynchburg
    thanx for the help

4. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    No problem!! Hope it helped [​IMG]

5. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    I found chick grit at my local TSC.

6. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Unless you are feeding scratch there is no need for Chick grit. You'll just be wasting your money.

If you are feeding Chick Starter (which is all they need) then you don't need Chick Grit.
    If you are raising them on the ground then they'll get plenty of dirt/sand and also don't need Chick Grit.

7. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:True. I never saw any need for special "chick grit" once they started getting fed other stuff besides chick starter. Sand has done just fine and is cheaper.

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    We started offering ours chick grit (which you can give to any size fowl) once we started taking them outside. You can buy chick grit, or sand works, or you can just put them somewhere that has small rocks and let them do their own thing. [​IMG]

9. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:True. I never saw any need for special "chick grit" once they started getting fed other stuff besides chick starter. Sand has done just fine and is cheaper.

I live in Carolina where everything is sand anyway! lol. In our small community we have two Sand Mines and two Gold Mines. Never seen any gold but gosh we've got the sand. Heck, around here we call it 'dirt.' [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My vet disagrees with that. Chicks need fine grit. If they eat shavings or straw or something, you'll be sorry you didn't give grit. I ended up with a chick with a sour crop. The chick ended up fine after two weeks of ACV, Grit and mineral oil.
    I'm sure many chicks can be fine without it but I wouldn't take the chance again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by