Chick grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdy_num_nums, Jun 14, 2008.

1. birdy_num_nums

birdy_num_nums Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    Is chick grit just dirt? I went to a feed store and asked if they carried chick grit and the clerk looked at me like I was looney. Is it ok to just give them a little container of dirt from my yard for them to have free access? My chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and still in their brooder. I don't plan on taking any of them outside to the yard for short recesses for a while yet, not until they are too big to fit through the fence.

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:NO , they sell GRIT for chickens

and lil chicks are NOT suppose to have more than their chick starter for several weeks ....

3. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    If your chicks are NOT eating anything but their starter feed they do not need grit yet. Grit si fior when they are eating different foods as just treats and I would limit them at thier young age. Yes when they are ready for grit you can give them parakeet grit or chick grit which is crushed granite. Watch the calium content though as chicks do not need alot at a young age.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I bought grit before because I wasnt sure about it but never gave it yet, but I did see the other week at TSC specifically labled chick grit. But as said, I understand they dont need it untill the eat other food.

5. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    My feed store guy thought I was crazy for asking for chick grit, too. I live in a small town and they don't stock very much. He said he had never heard of giving them grit.

Later I found some grit as we were traveling at a Tractor Supply. I bought several bags cause I knew I couldn't get it easily back home.

6. jtotherow

jtotherow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Fort Mill SC
    Now McMurray told me that my chicks would not be able to digest without chick grit and Tractor Supply and my Other Feed Store all agree that what they need until they are outside. But I'm not sure my ground is good enough for them so it's either grit or river sand. [​IMG]

7. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought chick grit today from our feed store. They called it grower grit. The dang stuff is huge! :| I can't imagine it will be something they will be able to even swallow. My chicks are almost 4 weeks. They must use dirt in the garden when they are free ranging, right?

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I was TOLD the only thing chicks need is chick starter , until they are older and start eating other foods . THEN they need the grit to digest all the foods .

My chicks were not given anything else but chick starter for the 1st. 10 weeks, and NOW I add chicken stratch ( limited ) bread , cooked leftover rice ......... and A LITTLE GRIT like every other day .

they get all their vitamins and nutrients from the chick starter .

9. jtotherow

jtotherow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Fort Mill SC
    The grit is suppose to be small. Here is the South Carolina our dirt is not like sand. Very fine! My chicks are healthy and have never lost one due to their eating. everyone comments on how healthy they are. Me being a newbie last year I had to follow the farmers here and Mcmurray and the feed stores. I still put out grit for my older hens once in a while. their pens are more dust than anything. [​IMG]

10. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I use canary grit for my chicks~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by